Monday, April 27, 2009

We got to see Dad...

Mom got to go back to the recovery area to see Dad about 5pm for 20 minutes or so. Then Jonathan and I went back for about 25 minutes. He's pretty alert and talking quite a bit. While we were there, one of the surgeons on his team, Dr. Kerry Smith, was checking him out. He showed us Dad's incision just off-center to the left on his belly. It's shaped like a long and skinny letter "I." I asked Dr. Smith how often they do this kind of surgery and he said 2-3 times per week and that Dr. Pisters was one of the very best in the country at this procedure.

He's got quite a few tubes - feeding tube, gastric tube, breathing tube, IV's, etc. - but that was in the pre-op information. He held my hand while he talked and wanted to make sure all of you had been updated on his status. And you wonder where I get my bossiness from?!? He was yakking about making lasagna, going fishing, etc. I switched out with Jonathan and left him to hold his hand so Mom could go back and visit again since he was more alert.

So I thought I would post another time this evening since I was able to see him with my own eyes! Thank you for putting up with my chatter. Keeping you all in the loop has been very therapeutic for me too! We are very blessed to have such a wonderful support system of family and friends cheering Dad and us on as we go through this. I know I've said it before, but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment